Can I have chickens, horses, or livestock on my property?
The basic rule is that you need at least 120,000 square feet (2.75 acres) of land to be allowed any fowl, horses, or livestock. Once you have 120,000 square feet of land, then you are allowed 1 horse or livestock per acre and 20 head of fowl (including chickens) per acre. There are a few exceptions, such as when a property is used principally for agricultural uses. The keeping or raising of hog or fur bearing animals, other than rabbits, is typically not be permitted.

As of October 23, 2014 chickens are allowable on lots less than 120,000 square feet in size with a Zoning Permit for Backyard Chickens. Please view the Planning/Zoning Application page for more details and for a link to the application.

Please contact the Community Development Department if there are any questions at (262) 679-4136.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit for a driveway, walkway, patios, fence, and/or retaining wall?
2. Do I need a permit for a certain type of work/project?
3. How can I find out what Zoning District a property is located in?
4. Can I run a business from my home?
5. What are the regulations relating to fences?
6. How do I have my wetlands delineated/marked?
7. Does the City have grass height regulations?
8. What kind of approvals does my business need in Muskego?
9. Are there any business incentives or assistance available in Muskego?
10. Can I have chickens, horses, or livestock on my property?
11. How do I file a complaint about a Zoning Code or Building Code violation?