Permits are required for most types of construction work within the City of Muskego. Please see the list below for a list of some of the items that required permits. Please keep in mind that this list may not cover all projects that require a permit, so please check with City staff whenever there are questions if a permit may be required. Even if a Building Permit is not required, make sure to check if a Zoning Permit might still be required. These requirements apply for all properties/structures within the City (including, but not limited to residential, multi-family, commercial, industrial, institutional, agricultural, etc.)

Also, all items requiring permits have requirements relating to their allowed location on a lot. These requirement may vary based on a few factors such as the Zoning District, lot size, structure size, etc. For details on the exact location requirements for your project please contact the Planning Division at (262) 679-4136 or via email at

Submit for Permits Online Now HERE or See the Applications Below 

Approximate Permit Fees

Building Permits are required for the following types of work: 

  • New Construction
  • Additions, Alterations and Remodeling (interior and/or exterior)
  • Accessory Buildings, Outbuildings, Sheds (of any size), etc.
  • Window or Door Changes – Typically only when changing sizes, adding an opening, or eliminating openings
  • Swimming Pool (in-ground or above-ground) – Even some temporary type pools
  • Spas, and Hot Tubs (indoor or outdoor)
  • Dishwashers and Garbage Disposals - Both New and Replacement
  • Water Softeners, Water Conditioners and Hot Water Heaters - Both New and Replacement
  • Furnaces and Air Conditioners - Both New and Replacements
  • Decks, Stairs, Porches, and Gazebos - Both Attached and Detached
  • New electrical installations, replacements, or additions/extensions to existing electrical circuits
  • New plumbing installations, replacements, or additions/extensions to existing plumbing system.
  • Re-Roofing and Re-Siding - Minor repairs may not require permits, contact inspector to discuss your specific project.
  • Razing, Wrecking, Demolition of any structure
  • Utility Installations – Gas, Cable, Electric, etc.
  • Land Disturbance, Filling, Excavating, Grading may require a Land Disturbance Permit through the Engineering Department.
  • Plastic, Vinyl, or Rubbermaid type Sheds - A Zoning Permit is required for these items.
  • Driveways, Patios, Walkways, Sidewalks - A Zoning Permit is required for these items. This applies to all of the following surfaces: concrete, asphalt, pavers, gravel, etc.
  • Fences and Retaining/Seat Walls (decorative or functional) – A Zoning Permit is required for these items.

NOTE: The list above may not be all inclusive and it is the owner’s responsibility to check with the Building and/or Planning Divisions to make sure they are getting all of the proper permits. Please do not hesitate to contact Building Inspection and/or Planning to check if a permit is required for your specific project/work. (Do I Need a Permit Brochure)

New One and Two Family Dwelling Online Building Permit System

The Online Building Permit System was developed by the DSPS to allow municipalities to gain compliance with 2015 Act 211The owner, builder, or agents shall complete the application form and the Online Building Permit System will route it to the enforcing jurisdiction. Permit application data is used for statewide statistics on new one and two family dwellings, as well as for local code administration. 

Applicants must still submit all required plans and data directly to the City of Muskego as well. The plans, data and permit must be reviewed, and the approved permit fee must be paid before the permit is considered an issued permit.

To file a building permit for a new one & two family dwelling, access the Electronic Building Permit System provided by the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services.

Permit Applications

Submit for Permits Online now HERE!! or use the Applications below. Submit online payments for permits here or pay by check/cash at City Hall.